What is COVID-19 IgG/ IgM Rapid Antibody test?
The COVID-19 IgG/ IgM Rapid Antibody test is a Health Canada approved serology test that determines the presence of antibodies towards the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein. This Rapid Antibody test for the spike protein identifies:
- Patients previously infected by SARS CoV-2 virus
- People who have been vaccinated
How does COVID-19 IgG/ IgM Rapid Antibody test work?
The test is an invitro immunoassay for the direct and qualitative detection of anti-SARS-CoV-2 IgM and IgG in human whole blood, serum or plasma. The COVID-19 IgG/ IgM Rapid Antibody test will detect elevated immunoglobins (antibodies) that are produced as a result of an immune response towards the presence of the spike protein and its associated antigen.
A sample of whole blood, serum or plasma is collected by trained professional and the sample is tested for the presence of SARS-CoV-2 antibodies. This test is not intended for home or self-testing.
Who may benefit most from this test?
This test may benefit:
- People interested in determining if they have had COVID-19 infection in the past and still have antibodies against the virus: If you have had COVID-19 infection in the recent past and want to know if you still have the antibodies, IAI recommends you to get tested. You can also monitor the presence of the antibodies on a monthly/ weekly basis under IAI’s COVID-19 IgG/ IgM Rapid Antibody Surveillance.
- People who have had their COVID-19 vaccination and are concerned about confirming their vaccination state: If you have had the first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, IAI recommends you to get tested to check for the presence of the antibodies atleast 3 weeks after the vaccination dose. As per literature, post vaccination on an average the body takes approximately 3-4 weeks to develop antibodies by triggering an immune response. Therefore, will serve as the best window to detect the presence of the antibodies.
What do the results of this test mean?
There are two possible results following the antibody test: either Reactive, or Non-Reactive.
- A Reactive result indicates that the sample is positive for SARS-CoV-2 antibodies.
- A Non-Reactive result indicates that the sample is negative for SARS-CoV-2 antibodies, or that the levels of antibodies were too low to be detectable.
Antibody testing is most sensitive after approximately 3 weeks following infection or vaccination when antibody levels are at their peak.
To Book an appointment or request information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject: COVID-19 Antibody test or call us at 204-258-1500